Friday, December 8, 2017

Save your trauma for your...therapist

Good afternoon! Today, I'm really feeling my career, interest, and passions. I'm taking a social work CEU (continuing education unit) course at work on the group treatment approach with clients who have a trauma history. I'm actually totally fascinated and love working with people with trauma and the new wave of mindfulness and whole-body healing, along with the scientific evidence and biofeedback that exists today.  During these trainings, I learn new things and gain new insights about my own life as well as my clients’ lives. I'm a big advocate of the new as well as the tried-and-true evidence-based approaches. I am really a lab-rat at this time as I work to heal myself. I try to live mindfully. Speaking of which, I have a yoga class at this super cozy studio on a riverbank by where I live tomorrow morning. I'm pretty jazzed that it’s supposed to snow during that time and I look forward to enjoying a beautiful, calming practice (yet strenuous, I'm sure) and journeying within. I noticed that in the past week I have been spending more money on myself than I have in a while. I bought some extra yoga classes, a new pair of leggings and a ring for myself. This weekend I plan on doing some work in my apartment and organizing and determining what I do and do not need.

It is  quite refreshing to know that I have these career interests and passions independently from my telling him about them. I would often text him during these moments of interest and excitement for what lies ahead in my career to inform him of my thirst for knowledge and continuing education. I have notice that I question myself less and love myself more without the influence and criticism of his disapproving parents. I often question and doubt my positive feelings but WWTMD (What would Therapist Marie Do)? I would welcome them and accept them without judgment. And so I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment